It is becoming increasingly easy to arrange long distance meetings. This is partly due to the many digital transformations taking place. Think for example of the faster WiFi network WiFi 6 and the 5G network that will be rolled out i at the end of 2020. Both are making internet connections faster than ever before. In this blog we discuss the pros and cons of remote meetings!
One of the biggest advantages of long distance meetings is, of course, the fact that one no longer has to travel to a meeting. This saves a lot of time and therefore money. In addition, it also has a positive effect on the environment by preventing emissions of harmful substances and unnecessary traffic jams. Another advantage is that a long distance meeting is quicker to get to the point and that conversations about small talk are often omitted. This increases efficiency.
A major disadvantage of remote meetings is the lack of personal contact. A handshake at the start of a conversation can often provide just that little extra confidence. In addition, it is difficult to read someone’s posture through the webcam, which can lead to things coming across differently than intended. Another disadvantage is the technology. Even though the internet is getting better and faster, it can always happen that the connection is lost or delayed. Using bad or outdated equipment can also have a negative effect on the quality of the meeting.
What do you need for long distance meetings?
In order to be able to meet remotely there are a number of things that are important:
- A well-functioning (internet) connection. A working internet connection is of course the most important thing to get in touch with the other party. It is therefore desirable that it is a good internet connection. This is in order to limit as much noise on the line as possible and to prevent irritation about bad images and/or sound. When the image and sound work flawlessly, the conversation looks more like a real meeting.
- Secondly, it is important that good audio facilities are available. Think of a good microphone and speakers.
- In order to increase interaction during a meeting, image facilities such as a webcam and of course a monitor are often used. This is certainly advisable, because a meeting at a distance where one only hears each other through sound, does not work productively and often causes confusion. Non-verbal communication remains important.
- Also don’t forget the importance of a quiet room, because annoying background noises or movements distract from the subject.
- Finally, digital information is also important. When meetings are held in the same room, the well-known paper handout is often used. When meetings are held remotely, this is not an option. It is therefore important that everyone present online has access to the right information and can also share, edit and consult it during the meeting.
In short, there are certainly advantages of long distance meetings, such as increased productivity and saving time. However, it is important not to underestimate the peripherals as described above and also take into account the disadvantages. Only when all that is in order can you successfully participate in long distance meetings and actually benefit from the advantages.